Well, according to the Electoral Commission (EC) of Ghana, the official campaign for year 2008 Ghana elections is over as at mid night of 5th December 2008.Not yet, at least in the minds of politicians and their cohorts, they have cleverly taken the campaign to the realm of new media, SMS to be precise.
For a lot of good reasons, the EC is monitoring traditional media such as radio, television and newspapers, which are religiously not providing any platforms for such adverts in line with the EC rule.This leaves a grey area in the use of new media for campaigning and at least for this election, the EC does not have the means to ensure that political parties do not campaign using Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) tools after the end of the campaigning season.
Politicians of course, are very happy to exploit this situation, by increasing the number and frequency of SMS campaign messages in complete disregard on the ban on official voting.
Yours truly, brings you a compilation of text messages going around today on the eve of Ghana's elections.
We have not fact checked any of these messages.
- I am Prof Atta Mills and I approve this message. Get out and vote for Nana Akufo Addo for Gana to MOVE FORWARD. I can not predict what my BOSS, Rawlings will do to me after wining the election. I believe the country is safer under NANA. Pls vote for him so I will be free frm maninpulations. We are all safer under NANA. Bye.
- When voting NDC look at Nana's column if slightly stained alert de polling agents esp NDC rep. Pls send to 30 NDC friends. May God give Ghana Atta Mills. Amen
- Do you believe in Ghana? Vote for me, Nana Akufo-Addo on 7th Dec for quality education, jobs, healthcare and brighter future for your children. God Bless Ghana
- Believe in education-it opens doors; In rule of law-all are equal; In strong leadership-it defines a country Dec 7 Vote Nana Akufo-Addo We are moving forward
- THINK OF THE GREAT FUTURE AHEAD. YOUR VOTE WILL MAKE THE DIFFERENCE. ITS ALL ABOUT YOU AND GHANA. VOTE GHANA, VOTE ATTA MILLS, CHANGE WE NEED. Please send to 10 other people. From Hanah Tetteh – NDC communications director
- 4 God so loved prez Ku4 th@ He sent Aku4 Addo 2 take 4rm him, th@ whosoever votes 4 him, wil not move backwards, but move 4ward in peace and prosperity. Amen
- For God so loved Ghana that He did NOT give us His chosen leader AS Nana Akufo Addo, that whosoever votes 4 him on 7/12/08, will NOT move forward & have prosperous live. A VOTE for Nana Akufo Addo is VOTE for corruption and collective poverty. VOTE ATTA MILLS!!! Agbenaaa!! Pls forward this msg to all
- Exodus 14%(Good News, New KJ etc) "The lord said to Moses, why are u crying for out for help? Tell the people to TO MOVE FORWARD". Let us all obey his word
- I am Prof. Evans Atta Mills and I approve this message. Get out and vote for Nana Akuffo Addo for a Better Ghana. We are moving forward.
Kwami Ahiabenu, II contributor www.africanelections.org/ghana